Sunday, July 21, 2013

The Selection by Kiera Cass

Pages: 327
Goodreads rating: 4.11/ 5 stars
My rating: 5/5 stars
Genre: YA / Dystopia


Summary (Goodreads):
For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself—and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.




My review:

Fantastic, Enchanting, & Romantic

This book reminds me of Cinderella with a touch of Hunger Games because of the contest wherein young ladies belonging to different castes are chosen to become part of The Selection in search for the Prince's true love/confidant for lifetime and the next princess who will rule Illea.

America Singer, a Five, doesn't want to be part of this traditional contest. She doesn't have a choice but sign up for the sake of her family and his boyfriend, Aspen whom she loved and was planning to have a future with him. Being selected changed her life in a way she get privileges of wearing fancy dresses, expensive jewelries and delicious meals.

Despite of being a Five, she's not intimidated with other ladies who have higher castes/statuses. I love her natural beauty and personality. She did stand out among the other ladies which caught everyone's attention, particularly Prince Maxon. I love how she treats her maids as her friends not the other way around. She's just adorable and funny.

Another reason why I love America Singer:

A strong heroine doesn't have to be a kick-ass one to be lovable, but to be an influential one or be a good role model to her people.

I love Prince Maxon. He's sweet, kind attractive, gentleman, understanding and swoon-worthy guy. I wish America would end up with him. I don't really like Aspen for breaking her America's heart, but I feel sorry for him somehow. So, I'm rooting for Team Maxon ;)

I feel so giddy after finishing this. I just love it and I can't wait to grab The Elite and read it!

My review posted on Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/598580656

No comments:

Post a Comment