Monday, October 28, 2013

Amy & Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson


Pages: 344
Goodreads rating: 4.09/5 stars
My rating: 4/5 stars
Genre: Young Adult (YA), Contemporary Romance

Summary (Goodreads):
Amy Curry thinks her life sucks. Her mom decides to move from California to Connecticut to start anew--just in time for Amy's senior year. Her dad recently died in a car accident. So Amy embarks on a road trip to escape from it all, driving cross-country from the home she's always known toward her new life. Joining Amy on the road trip is Roger, the son of Amy's mother's old friend. Amy hasn't seen him in years, and she is less than thrilled to be driving across the country with a guy she barely knows. So she's surprised to find that she is developing a crush on him. At the same time, she's coming to terms with her father's death and how to put her own life back together after the accident. Told in traditional narrative as well as scraps from the road--diner napkins, motel receipts, postcards--this is the story of one girl's journey to find herself.

My review:

"But the greatest joy of travelling can never be planned for. And that is the element of SURPRISE! Be open to this, as it will make your trip much richer. After all you never know where the road will take you!"

Amy's father died in a car accident and she blames herself for it. Being in California makes them vulnerable, so her mother planned a road trip to Connecticut for Amy together with Roger, who is her mom's family friend's son (did I say that correctly?) and their epic detour begins..

I really like this book! I think I just had a road-trip-on-a-book and it was indeed a good summer read, and I don't mind reading this in my own pace.. Amy & Roger's road trip is enjoyable and filled with memories. It helped them to become stronger and better. It's more of adventure than romance (though there's a little touch of it. It's about finding yourself, letting go of unease feelings and valuing the time.  I love the pictures,the writing itself, the plot and the fun facts.

After reading this book, I miss having road trips even it's excruciating to sit in the car for hours of travel time. However, every road trip has its memorable experience. I would say, never waste those. Take pictures with your family and friends. Now, I am looking forward to my next road trip. :)

I recommend this to everyone b(^^,).

Check it also on Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/744577200

1 comment:

  1. I do think road trips, or just traveling with someone, helps develop relationships. It makes it stronger, or weaker. I love traveling with friends. This seems to be the kind of book that I will read.

    ReplyDelete