Thursday, June 26, 2014

A Million Little Snowflakes by Logan Byrne

Pages: 206
Goodreads rating: 3.19/5 stars
My Rating: 1 / 5 stars
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary Romance

Summary: (Goodreads)

Oliver Hurst has always been abnormally normal.

His grades are horrible, his best friend just left for Utah, and he's depressed. His overly religious parents don’t help, especially since they control every facet of his life. One stupid sentence said in desperation gets Oliver tossed in an adolescent psych ward, where his depression and fears become even more of a reality.

When Oliver meets snide, tough girl Lacey Waters he doesn't think his life could get any better, that is, until she becomes the ray of sunshine he has desperately needed on his cloudiest of days.

My Review:

Copy provided by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

A Million Little Snowflakes tells about a boy named Oliver, who was sent to a psychiatric ward for having a depression. His family was religious and he was stressed about them for not giving him independence and sense of responsibility. Then, he met a girl that changed his life, Lacey. She was a tough, snarky girl that captured Oliver's heart. They shared each other's life story and fell in love despite of being broken in their way.

Here are my thoughts:

I didn't like this book as much as I would love to. It lacked character developments, and interactions. The narration was too long. I don't mind the routines in the psychiatric ward but some parts are redundant and I tend to just browse that part and read only the conversations. One concern that really bothers me was Oliver's mom. I don't know how will I say this without offending anyone when it comes to religion because we have our own beliefs and faith to God and it should be respected.

Honestly speaking, it was exaggerated to a point that she was more qualified to be in a psychiatric ward than Oliver. It was overreacting mainly due to stress and the main character was stressed about it. It's so insensitive. I view religion as something that comforts me.

Lastly, THE DAMN ENDING. WHAT THE HECK WAS THAT?! It doesn't make ANY SENSE. AT ALL. OH MY GOODNESS. 

SPOILER ALERT!

OLIVER WAS ABOUT TO START A NEW LIFE AS AN ADULT. HE GOT OUT THE WARD AND WILL DATE LACEY THEN HE WAS BUMPED BY A CAR, LANDED BADLY AND DYING?! IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE. OH GOODNESS SAKE. FOR SURE LACEY WILL BE SENT TO THE PSYCHIATRIC WARD AGAIN. 

HISTORY REPEATS ITSELF.

For those who love this book, I'm sorry but it's a thumbs down for me. Just being honest.


Thank you NetGalley! 

1 comment:

  1. I think this book needs a few pages to be ripped of HAHAH I had the same problem with Colleen Houck's tiger saga, the narration was way too long.

    www.lite-rate-ture.com

    ReplyDelete