Sunday, December 7, 2014

Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver

Pages: 470
Goodreads rating: 3.94 / 5 stars
My Rating: 1 / 5 star
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary Romance, Realistic Fiction

Summary:


For popular high school senior Samantha Kingston, February 12—"Cupid Day"—should be one big party, a day of valentines and roses and the privileges that come with being at the top of the social pyramid. And it is…until she dies in a terrible accident that night.

However, she still wakes up the next morning. In fact, Sam lives the last day of her life seven times, until she realizes that by making even the slightest changes, she may hold more power than she ever imagined.

My Review: 

*Review also posted Goodreads *

I didn't have a chance to review this book last year because I don't know what rating will I give. First, I gave it 3 - stars and now, 1- star rating.

I was able to save my thoughts on my diary of what I think about this book. I'm hesitant to post it and most people I know love this book so much. So here goes my explanation: 

Don't get me wrong, I love Lauren Oliver particularly theDelirium trilogy but this book isn't for me. It is boring and I don't like redundancy of scenes. 

As you all know, the scenes repeated (for 7 times.) before the accident/her death. It is expected she'll die at the end and the twist is, those repetitive days she will try things for redemption to all the things she'd done. Realization sets in.

I hate Samantha Kingston . I'm sure she's FULLY AWARE that her friends' are bullies, yet she tolerates it and join the club but deep inside she doesn't want to bully Juliet. Her choices sucked BIG TIMEWhy correct things too late when you could have done it earlier? Where the hell is your judgment? It's just too late to apologize. I hate to say this, a part of me thinks she deserved it. Payback is a bitch. I hope she learns from it.

I am disappointed and frustrated on this book. I'm so glad I finished it.

4 comments:

  1. OMG I just won this book in a giveaway, and now I'm super excited to read it. I haven't read any of Lauren Oliver's books yet. Do you have any other reviews of her books? I would love to read them too!

    Alex @ The Book's Buzz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alex! I can't wait to hear your thoughts about Lauren Oliver's books, particularly Before I Fall. :)

      Here are my reviews for her Delirium trilogy
      https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/172777737
      https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/329582725 https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/360382304

      Happy Reading!

      Delete
  2. I totally agree with you. Lauren Oliver is great but this one was just so boring. I guess 7 days was just too much because there were days that was just pointless. I think, if it were 3 days maybe (just maybe) it could have been better for me.

    It feels good to know that I'm not the only one who doesn't like all of Lauren Oliver's books. Sometimes I even feel shy to admit about not liking this book because some of the reactions I got were like "Why?! But It's Lauren Oliver!"

    - The Reading Izzy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe a day or two, haha. Good thing I'm not the only one who isn't a fan of this book since most of my friends liked or loved it. I guess I have to vent it out with honesty. :)

      Delete