Monday, April 27, 2015

Confess by Colleen Hoover

Pages: 320
Goodreads rating: 4.35/5 stars
My Rating: 4/5 stars
Genre: New Adult, Contemporary Romance

Summary:


Auburn Reed has her entire life mapped out. Her goals are in sight and there’s no room for mistakes. But when she walks into a Dallas art studio in search of a job, she doesn’t expect to find a deep attraction to the enigmatic artist who works there, Owen Gentry.

For once, Auburn takes a risk and puts her heart in control, only to discover Owen is keeping major secrets from coming out. The magnitude of his past threatens to destroy everything important to Auburn, and the only way to get her life back on track is to cut Owen out of it.

The last thing Owen wants is to lose Auburn, but he can’t seem to convince her that truth is sometimes as subjective as art. All he would have to do to save their relationship is confess. But in this case, the confession could be much more destructive than the actual sin…

My Review:

Review originally posted on my Goodreads.

"I'll love you forever, even when I can't.
And I'll love you forever. Even when I shouldn't " 


The story opens with an emotional prologue as Auburn Reed spends her last moments with her boyfriend Adam as he suffers an imminent death because of cancer before returning to Portland. He was her first love, and it's difficult to say goodbye to him because she knew it will be the last time she will see him..

"Some secrets should never turn into confessions." 

Years later after his death, she went back to Texas. Working as a hair dresser, she's on the hunt for a second job and she found this weird building. Its glass are covered with scraps of paper which are actually confessions from anonymous people with a signCONFESS. She met Owen Gentry, an artist who needs an employee to help him for some kind of an art showcase and a man whose middle name same as hers (with initials of O.M.G) . Through those confessions, he She find herself drawn to him. She never felt an attraction like this since Adam. She has secrets that seems hard to open up. Just like her, Owen can't confess everything because his life is too complicated, and afraid they might end up hurting each other. (I can't really discuss any further because it's going to be a spoiler.)

I had difficulties on the first few chapters of this book. Among the Colleen Hoover books that I've read so far, this has the slowest pace because the characters are a bit dull. Halfway through the story, it gets better. I started to like their interactions, character developments and their chemistry builds up. I have mixed feelings towards Auburn. Having a low self-esteem, she tends to be a bit dramatic and indecisive. It took me a while to understand her character and give the benefit of a doubt. I like what she did on the almost-last-part of the story. At first I thought it was stupid, it makes me want to scream "What the hell are you doing, woman?!" and, she made an intelligent move. Haha! I can't tell you what is it because, again it's a spoiler. Let's say it is a big slap on the face to someone ;)

Let's talk about Owen. Aside from loving his initials O.M.G., I like him for lots of reasons. He is cocky, sweet, kind, respectful, protective, funny and attractive. I'm just awed on his personality. I love how he helps Auburn to be strong and the way he appreciates her beauty. Without him, Auburn will be a mess. (view spoiler)

Overall, I'm actually fascinated with the whole concept of the story. Although it took me time to get into the story. Not much feels about it, but good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment