Saturday, April 4, 2015

When It Rains by Lisa De Jong

Pages: 337
Goodreads rating: 4.36 / 5 stars
My Rating: 5/5 Stars
Genre: New Adult, Contemporary Romance

Summary:


One night changed my life forever.

Beau Bennett has been my best friend since I can remember. He was my first crush before everything came crashing down, and now he wants more, but it's more than I can give him. Things are different now. I wish I could tell him why, but I can't. 

I haven’t told anyone.

I never knew how much I really needed him until the day he left for college, and I was completely alone.

Then one day, Asher Hunt rides into town with his dark, captivating eyes and cocky grin. He doesn't care who I used to be, he's simply breathing life into what’s left. People warn me to stay away from him, but he helps me forget the pain that has held me hostage for so long; something I thought was impossible before he walked into my life.

I’ve been hurt. 

I’ve been saved. 

And I’ve found hope. 

I thought my story was written that night, but now I know it was only a new beginning. Until one secret turns my world upside down…

Again.


My Review:

Review originally posted on Goodreads.

I have to sit for minutes and think about what will I write on my review. Honestly, I'm numb. I don't know where will I start because this is one book that gives you that heavy feeling and will make your eyes puffy from crying. I swear I need a BIG HUG. My goodness.


When It Rains is a beautiful, heart wrenching masterpiece. This review isn't enough to express all my sentiments. This isn't an ordinary new adult novel. I dare you guys to read this one and have some boxes of tissues beside you, as well as a pillow for you to embrace because it will be a SOB-FEST. This is probably one of the most heartbreaking books I've read for all time. 



"Life's not fair. Life's often complicated, leaving us to deal with things that we shouldn't have to. Life can make you smile one day, only to leave you broken into tiny little pieces the next." 



Kate Alexander had a traumatic past and it's been haunting her for years. It destroys her physically and emotionally to the point she pushes everyone away even her long time best friend Beau Bennett. Until one day, Asher Hunt came to her life. She's intimidated by his looks, confidence and mysterious character. Being with him, she found comfort and security. He helped her to battle her own demons and found happiness with him.
She thought everything will be okay, until she knew Asher's secret... 



You know the moment when you're at the peak of happiness and all of a sudden it just crushed? YES. This book just gave me that feeling. Such an emotional roller coaster. Aside from that, I love the writing style, the characters and the quotable lines. It's a heavy drama filled with lessons. Like, coping and moving on in life after a tragic or most painful moment of your life. This is entirely different from the New Adult novels I've read. Definitely not cliche.



My Playlist:
- You and Me by The Lifehouse
- Tenerife Sea by Ed Sheeran
- She Will Be Loved by Maroon 5
- Demons by Imagine Dragons
- Ungodly Hour by The Fray
- You by The Carpenters
(including the ones mentioned in this book.)

4 comments:

  1. Great review; I LOVE The Tenerife Sea by Ed Sheeran so I'm excited to see that in the book playlist! This sounds like a total tearjerker; I really want to read this book now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gabs! I highly recommend this book. Warning: It's heartbreaking. Really heartbreaking.

      Delete
  2. Books that give you that emotional wild ride are seriously the best. They make me more alive somehow, you know what I mean? I'll have to give this a try someday :)

    Faye at The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you, Faye! I hope you'll read this someday and I'm looking forward to hear your thoughts about it. :)

      Delete