Saturday, July 11, 2015

The Law of Moses by Amy Harmon

Pages: 333
Goodreads Rating: 4.44 / 5 Stars
My Rating: 4 / 5 stars
Genre: New Adult, Contemporary Romance, Paranormal

Summary:


If I tell you right up front, right in the beginning that I lost him, it will be easier for you to bear. You will know it’s coming, and it will hurt. But you’ll be able to prepare.


Someone found him in a laundry basket at the Quick Wash, wrapped in a towel, a few hours old and close to death. They called him Baby Moses when they shared his story on the ten o’clock news – the little baby left in a basket at a dingy Laundromat, born to a crack addict and expected to have all sorts of problems. I imagined the crack baby, Moses, having a giant crack that ran down his body, like he’d been broken at birth. I knew that wasn’t what the term meant, but the image stuck in my mind. Maybe the fact that he was broken drew me to him from the start.



It all happened before I was born, and by the time I met Moses and my mom told me all about him, the story was old news and nobody wanted anything to do with him. People love babies, even sick babies. Even crack babies. But babies grow up to be kids, and kids grow up to be teenagers. Nobody wants a messed up teenager.



And Moses was messed up. Moses was a law unto himself. But he was also strange and exotic and beautiful. To be with him would change my life in ways I could never have imagined. Maybe I should have stayed away. Maybe I should have listened. My mother warned me. Even Moses warned me. But I didn’t stay away.



And so begins a story of pain and promise, of heartache and healing, of life and death. A story of before and after, of new beginnings and never-endings. But most of all...a love story.

My Review:

Review originally posted on Goodreads.

I haven't read any books by Amy Harmon, so I don't really know what to expect on it although I've heard nothing but great reviews of novels. It's been recommended for me for such a long time but The Law of Moses is a strangely beautiful book. The story isunique, and kind of creepy in a good way. Let me tell you, the writing style is mesmerizing. Talk about the beautiful words and it truly pulled me in the story.

"If I tell you right up front, right in the beginning that I lost him, it will be easier for you to bear. You will know it's coming, and it will hurt. It will still make your chest ache and your stomach flip with dread. But you'll know, and you'll be able to prepare. And that's my gift to you. I wasn't given that same courtesy. I wasn't prepared."



Stories are told and easily spread out on a small town. There was a baby found on a laundry basket, abandoned by his mother who suffered drug addiction. Moses Wright is a special baby, often times called him a crack baby. He was messed up and people are scared to get to know him but Georgia Shepherd, a country girl, wasn't fazed by these rumors. In fact, she was curious about him. She wants to get to know the dark, handsome and mysterious boy Moses. She's drawn to him and people can't see his beauty.

Apparently, there's something about Moses and his artistry. People don't understand its purpose and find his art works disturbing and insulting… They don't know it's a connection of what is lost.. An unexplainable channel and only Moses is capable of. You may not understand what I'm talking about and I assure you, it's special and heart-warming. 

Just so you know, I almost DNF this book because the first part of it is really slow and I cannot seem to connect with the story. However, my mind tells me to keep going and finish this. When I get to the second part, it starts to get better. My heart slowly ripped apart towards the end. My goodness, tears are shed in this book. Grab some tissues. You'll never know, you might not be aware you’re crying already.

Another thing I love in this book is the character diversity. I want to read more books with diverse characters. Though I didn't feel much of Moses and Georgia's chemistry, I feel like it focuses more on forgiveness and second chances after a downfall romance. Plus, they have great character developments. I really admire Georgia's persistence, and unconditional love towards Moses even if he has issues. She has this natural beauty inside and out which made me admire her even more. Eli… omg dear Eli… you made me cry! I adored him so much. 

Surely, I'll be reading more of Amy Harmon's books and I think it deserves a great blurb.

2 comments:

  1. Hi! Your blog is beautiful, and so I thought I would say thanks for writing it with a nomination for my blog award! Here is the link to the post for more details: http://bookfangirling.blogspot.co.uk/2015/07/the-bookfangirling-blog-award.html :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Hannah for nominating me! :) Such a great pleasure and honor to be nominated.

      Delete