Tuesday, July 7, 2015

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

Pages: 512
Goodreads rating: 4.01 / 5 Stars
My Rating: 4 stars
Genre: Fantasy, Historical Fiction, Adult

Summary:


The circus arrives without warning. No announcements precede it. It is simply there, when yesterday it was not. Within the black-and-white striped canvas tents is an utterly unique experience full of breathtaking amazements. It is called Le Cirque des RĂªves, and it is only open at night. 

But behind the scenes, a fierce competition is underway: a duel between two young magicians, Celia and Marco, who have been trained since childhood expressly for this purpose by their mercurial instructors. Unbeknownst to them both, this is a game in which only one can be left standing. Despite the high stakes, Celia and Marco soon tumble headfirst into love, setting off a domino effect of dangerous consequences, and leaving the lives of everyone, from the performers to the patrons, hanging in the balance.


My Review:

Review originally posted on Goodreads


The Night Circus is an enchanting, magical, fascinating, and an astounding read. It is beautifully written and the plot twist will make you hooked into the story. I must admit, the first few chapters of this book started off really slow and I had to put it down for a while. When I'm back in the mood to read, everything starts to pick up on The Part II and slowly enjoying the rest of the story.

Hector "Prospero the Enchanter" Bowen and The Man in Grey suit (I shall not name him to avoid spoilers) had a deal on challenge. They will select a prodigy and train them to become one of the best magicians. Celia Bowen and Marco Alisdair are chosen ones. By the time they are ready, these magicians will compete with each other at the Le Cirque des Reves, a circus which opens only at night which is owned by Chandresh Christophe Lefevre. These two young magicians need to focus on the competition and at some circumstances, an unexpected love gets in their way…

There are so many things that I love in this book. I love how the scenes are well detailed and I love how the characters are elaborated and their significance in the story. The characters in this book are all interesting because we get to see their perspectives. Imagining all the things happened in this book reminds me of Harry Potter. It is that complex. I miss that dreamy-kind of feeling and this book gave me that vibe with such twist. It's hard to describe what I truly feel right now and I ran out of words to describe it. Just Wow. If there's one book that I want to be a movie in 3D, it will be this book. However, I seem to think that the challenge in this book is pointless. Their mentors are manipulative and really cruel. It's like they are trying to prove a point or something. Anyways, it's an entertaining, unique and a wonderful story to venture on. 

Erin Morgenstern is a fantastic story-teller and I am looking forward on her future novels.

No comments:

Post a Comment