Thursday, August 6, 2015

Made You Up by Francesca Zappia

Pages: 448
Goodreads Rating: 4.13 / 5  Stars
My Rating: 5/5 stars
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary Romance, Realistic Fiction

Summary:

Reality, it turns out, is often not what you perceive it to be—sometimes, there really is someone out to get you. Made You Up tells the story of Alex, a high school senior unable to tell the difference between real life and delusion. This is a compelling and provoking literary debut that will appeal to fans of Wes Anderson, Silver Linings Playbook, and Liar.

Alex fights a daily battle to figure out the difference between reality and delusion. Armed with a take-no-prisoners attitude, her camera, a Magic 8-Ball, and her only ally (her little sister), Alex wages a war against her schizophrenia, determined to stay sane long enough to get into college. She’s pretty optimistic about her chances until classes begin, and she runs into Miles. Didn't she imagine him? Before she knows it, Alex is making friends, going to parties, falling in love, and experiencing all the usual rites of passage for teenagers. But Alex is used to being crazy. She’s not prepared for normal. 

Funny, provoking, and ultimately moving, this debut novel featuring the quintessential unreliable narrator will have readers turning the pages and trying to figure out what is real and what is made up.

My Review:

Review originally posted on Goodreads.

Such a fascinating read.Holy mother of all the feels. I loveMade You Up. I don't even know where to begin because I have a book hangover right now. Read this book peeps. I swear, it will make you hooked in the story from the beginning till end.Praises to Francesca Zappia's writing style! Definitely a wonderful debut novel that you should check out.
"Was it possible for someone to act the way she did because that was just the way she was or was there always a reason? I'd like to think, if someone saw me acting strangely, they wouldn't assume it was because I was a bad person. Or they'd at least ask if something was wrong before they made a decision."


Alex Ridgemont battles a mental illness called schizophrenia since she was 7 years old. She doesn't trust what's she's seeing or hearing because she cannot distinguish if it's real or not. This book is written in her perspective and it's pretty captivating. I have to remind myself that she is an interesting unreliable character. I cannot help but go with the flow because her thoughts are too believable and sometimes you will be surprised on its twist that will make your jaw dropped.Upon going to a new school, she met Miles Ritcher, a very intelligent and sarcastic guy. Alex finds him very familiar and she thought she met him when she was a kid. The Blue Eyed kid she met on a grocery store who helped her free the lobsters but she wasn't sure due to her mental condition. 

Call me crazy but I ship Alex and Miles . They are such an interesting, adorable, and a cute pair I love how they talk history and throw banters at each other. The romance.. Oh my god. They gave me goo-goo eyes and an emotional roller coaster. It was a touching story and it left me teary-eyed on some parts. (Sorry, I cannot tell you. SPOILERS. I suggest you read this one) This is definitely one of the most beautiful young adult contemporary books I've ever read. I find the story well-developed and I adore all the characters in this book. They played all their roles and none of them were left out. I highly recommend this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment