Friday, August 21, 2015

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

Pages: 374
Goodreads rating: 4.31 / 5 stars
My Rating: 3.5 / 5 stars
Genre: Young Adult, Sci-Fi

Summary:

In the year 2044, reality is an ugly place. The only time teenage Wade Watts really feels alive is when he's jacked into the virtual utopia known as the  OASIS. Wade's devoted his life to studying the puzzles hidden within this world's digital confines, puzzles that are based on their creator's obsession with the pop culture of decades past and that promise massive power and fortune to whoever can unlock them. When Wade stumbles upon the first clue, he finds himself beset by players willing to kill to take this ultimate prize. The race is on, and if Wade's going to survive, he'll have to win—and confront the real world he's always been so desperate to escape.

My Review:

Review originally posted on Goodreads

In every game we play, our goal is to finish its quest. It's like an achievement when you finish one because you've gone through the toughest stages and the mere fact you conquered it, you just want to fist bump someone. 

The whole concept of Ready Player One is indeed fascinating and gives me nostalgia. I love video games though I'm not really a big gamer. It brings back the memories of me playing Gameboy and PS One. Another thing that I really like in this book is all the geek references mentioned. Like Famous 80's games, movies, music, and others.

The virtual reality game, Oasis is so good. If this game existed, I would definitely play this and join the quest in finding that virtual egg. I would love to take that challenge. Cline well crafted everything and the twists indeed surprised me. Parzival/Wade is such a smart gamer and a damn pro! I love how he solves those riddles and puzzles. 

I know this is an unpopular opinion but too much of nerdy references can be too overwhelming and annoying. Sometimes I feel like mentioning them all isn't necessary. It kinda turns me off. The ending of course is predictable. What do you expect? :) Overall it's still a great book

4 comments:

  1. Haha! Exactly. Some of the references were totally unnecessary and threw me off the book a lot of the times

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad we are on the same page, Sandee! As much as I want to love this.. I just.. naah

      Delete
  2. Kelly has been bugging me to read this one. I think it's one of the best books out there, so I hope to read this within this year. Great review!

    Dre @ Sporadic Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you will love this more, Dre! The concept of this book is really good but I guess I'm just overwhelmed with the nerd stuffs. :) Looking forward on your thoughts when you read this book :D

      Delete