Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

Pages: 404
Goodreads Rating: 4.23 / 5 Stars
My Rating: 4 / 5 Stars
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy

Summary:


After serving out a year of hard labor in the salt mines of Endovier for her crimes, 18-year-old assassin Celaena Sardothien is dragged before the Crown Prince. Prince Dorian offers her her freedom on one condition: she must act as his champion in a competition to find a new royal assassin.

Her opponents are men-thieves and assassins and warriors from across the empire, each sponsored by a member of the king's council. If she beats her opponents in a series of eliminations, she'll serve the kingdom for three years and then be granted her freedom. Celaena finds her training sessions with the captain of the guard, Westfall, challenging and exhilirating. But she's bored stiff by court life. Things get a little more interesting when the prince starts to show interest in her... but it's the gruff Captain Westfall who seems to understand her best.

Then one of the other contestants turns up dead... quickly followed by another. Can Celaena figure out who the killer is before she becomes a victim? As the young assassin investigates, her search leads her to discover a greater destiny than she could possibly have imagined. 


My Review:

Review originally posted on Goodreads

Looks like I need to catch up in reading this series. I've been putting this off for quite a while because of the hype and I wasn't in the mood to read fantasy novels. When I finally had a chance to read it, I guess it lived up with its hype.

Throne of Glass is an engaging, action-packed and fast paced read. It's definitely a great start and I'm so pumped to read more of it. I got to admit that it wasn't easy read for me at first because it's been a while since I've read a fantasy novel and I keep going back to its map every time a place was mentioned. Yep, that kinda slow me down. After a few chapters in, I'm officially engrossed with the story. Sarah J. Maas well-crafted such a fantastic setting and the concept is surreal. Praises to Ms. Maas' captivating writing style.

Celaena Sardothien is a feisty, badass heroine. She definitely got the angst,wits and sarcasm. As a penance for her crime, she suffered in Endovier. Her life had been miserable and I cannot imagine how this woman endured the pain she experienced in the salt mines. It's horrible. Being offered a freedom she craved for by Dorian Havilliard, the Prince of Adarlan. She is convinced to participate on a competition to become a new assassin. She underwent an intense training for her to become more competitive and she's supervised by the Captain of the Royal Guard, Chaol Westfall, whom she considered a brooding yet sarcastic guy. This challenge is not an ordinary one. She's determined to win this competition so she could be free but she needs to be careful because someone threatens her life. 

The characters are very likable and interesting. They all made me curious, even Princess Nehemia Ygter. As for the guys, Prince Dorian is indeed a sweet, charming, confident and gentleman. I think I get why some people root for him. Plus, he's a bookworm. ;) While Chaol is this brooding, sarcastic hero with guarded feelings but there's something about him that makes me curious. These two are irresistibly attractive, no doubt about that. However, I am kinda rooting for Chaol on this. 

Overall, I really enjoyed this book though there are some parts that are quite unclear to me and I need answers for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment